The Placement Scheme
"I would like to encourage those who are thinking of taking the year out, that it is a fantastic idea..."
"It has been a massive learning experience..."
"If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have thought twice about it!"
[Feedback from three recent Placement Scheme students]
Are you considering an actuarial career?
If so, our placement scheme can give you first hand experience of what it's like to work in the profession, and will radically improve your chances of finding an actuarial graduate role once you leave university.
Our Placement Scheme is aimed at undergraduates in the penultimate or final year of an actuarial or maths/statistics-based degree (including Physics and Economics), or MSc students studying for an appropriate maths/finance/statistics discipline.
The scheme involves a 12-month paid work placement with an actuarial employer. Following the placement, penultimate year undergraduate students return to complete the final year of their studies, whilst final year students and postgraduates either obtain a permanent role with their placement employer, or seek an alternative role elsewhere.
Because we have built up excellent relationships with many of the key actuarial employers, we can offer you access to the widest choice of employers, fields of actuarial work, and UK-based locations.
Gaining a placement position through us will provide you with an invaluable insight into the actuarial world, informing your future career decisions, and enhancing your chances of ultimately becoming an Actuary.
There are three key stages to the scheme:
- Submission of an Online CV: You can apply for a placement position by using the link below (please note that due to the volume of CVs we receive, we may not be able to provide you with feedback on your CV)
- 'Coaching' Interviews: Based on the quality of the application, a number of students will be interviewed (by a qualified actuary). Coaching will be provided, together with feedback on the student's overall performance
- Employer Applications: The strongest CVs will be submitted to actuarial employers, who put selected students through their own selection processes, subsequently making placement year offers where appropriate
All placement roles are pre-vetted by us, and entail 'real' actuarial work alongside other actuarial students and actuaries.
The Benefits of the Placement Scheme
You are probably aware that it's getting much tougher to find suitable actuarial graduate positions - our scheme provides you with the opportunity to differentiate yourself from other students by experiencing 'real' actuarial work in a commercial environment.
The whole Placement Scheme 'experience' will help you to maximise your chances of finding a career, and field of work to which you are most suited.
The key benefits you can expect from the scheme:
- Relevant work experience in one or more fields of actuarial work, allowing you to develop vital workplace skills, as well as greatly enhancing your chances of finding a graduate role
- The opportunity to develop a relationship - and possibly obtain a graduate position - with an actuarial employer
- Gaining a placement position can greatly ease the pressure to obtain a graduate role in your final year (the vast majority of our placement students secured offers with their placement-year employers prior to starting their final-year studies)
- Enhanced technical knowledge, which will help you in your final-year studies
- Developing a network of actuarial contacts
- A salary to help pay off student debts!
In addition, for those students who are successful in obtaining a role, we provide a friendly professional support network, with one-to-one mentoring if and when required.
All placements arranged by us provide relevant actuarial experience. Because of this, the 12-month placement counts towards the minimum 3 years required for FIA/FFA status, so it won't delay the time it takes you to qualify.
If you are interested in applying for a placement position, please submit your application using the following link: Apply
Top of Page
Placement Scheme Overview
|Are you an undergraduate or postgraduate considering an actuarial career? If so, click here to see how our placement scheme can help you to achieve your career objectives.
Student Case Studies
|Students have been taking actuarial placements with us for 10 years - here are the stories of some of the students we have helped...
|Comments from some of the students who have undertaken placement years with actuarial employers
|Students' Frequently Asked Questions
|Details of how to contact us.